Thursday 15 May 2008

May 16th, 2008





It is almost the May 24th long weekend and I start work at the LCBO tomorrow. I have been building a chain link fence over the last 2 weeks and it is almost finished. I will be supporting my tomatoes on the chain link fence.
I tilled the garden in the fall and added manure to amend the exisiting soil.





The first picture shows the garlic I planted in the fall. I have elephant garlic as well as a Thai variety.














Here are the onions. The first row was planted in the middle of April and the next two rows were planted 2 weeks and 4 weeks later, respectively. The first row are multiplier onions and the other rows are yellow onions. They were planted from sets and I plan to use some for green onions and let others mature.





The other rows are green and red romaine. They were bought at the Bradford greenhouses and transplanted on May 10th.




















Here is the McIntosh tree. It was planted at least 20 years ago, but has been shaded from the north side for most of its life.


I pruned of a large branch this winter that blocked a lot of light from the lower branches. I also trimmed off many of the downward facing fruiting spurs. I am still waiting for flower buds; I may have been too drastic with the pruning.





Here is a close-up of the leaves. (McIntosh)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, your daughter is very cute, hope you have a great garden, and enjoy the summer time.